Sunday, July 08, 2012

Mac OS X Lion on VMware 8?

Considering the difficulty I've had with trying to get Mac OSX Lion installed and running in a VM, I thought I might record the steps I had to take here, in case it saves someone else from having to go through the same frustrations.  The main issue was an error message telling me that the host operating system had disabled the CPU, every time I tried to boot the VM.  Turns out, Mac OS is very picky about hardware and didn't like my new i7 3770K CPU.

So, first things first.  You need to get yourself a copy of Mac OS X Lion.  Google and uTorrent are obviously your friends here :) The one I'm using is actually a bootable .vmdk called 'Mac OS X Bootable .vmdk (For VMware).  It's big (about 4.3GB), but it's the easiest way I found to get this going.  Then you need to get yourself a copy of VMware Workstation 8.  The version I've got is 'VMware-workstation-full-8.0.0-471780'.

Next step is to get the unlocker files for VMware, which adds the Mac OS version to the list of operating systems that you can install.  The unlocker I used came from http://www.souldevteam.net/blog/downloads/ but there are others that work just as well.

So, once you have your VMware unlocked, you need to create your VM. You can use the wizard, or do a custom one....it doesn't really matter, as long as you give it enough memory and hard drive space.  I set mine up with 4GB of RAM and a 40GB SCSI hard drive.  Next step is to attach the bootable .vmdk hard drive as an additional drive.

Once you have the VM set up and the bootable drive added, you should be able to boot the VM to BIOS and select the bootable .vmdk drive as the boot drive.  At this point, you may encounter the CPU disabled error that I did.  If you do, you need to add a line to your VM config file.  The line you need is:
cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"
That should solve the problem.  That information came from HERE. If it works for you too, register and give the guys some credit where due!

After that, all you have to do is set up your primary drive using the drive utilities and then install Lion on it :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home