Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Red tape and bureaucracy

To partially quote Ford Fairlaine, "Working for the Government is like masturbating with a cheese grater. Slightly amusing, but mostly painful." Here's why.....

I'm designing a web based data entry system. In order for that system to function, it needs to write to a database. In order for it to do that, I need access to DB2 on our network. In order to get access to DB2 in our anally retentively controlled network, I need to provide a large amount of what is essentially superfluous information to the boffins who are charged with meting out access to DB2. But, in order to provide said information to said boffins, I need access to the database (which hasn't been created yet) to do some testing and work out exactly what I need. See where I'm going with this? Before I can be given access to DB2, I need to provide information, that I can't get without having access to DB2, to prove that I need access. Confused? Good.....so am I.

Incidentally, they don't seem to see this as a problem at all. I don't know why I expected anything different really.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Yeebok Shu'in said...

Now you know why I get sick of developing stuff. You remember the notes based variance tool. You know, 3 forms, 10 actions and a few views. that took about 150 pages even to the point where I had to detail the fnutching FONTS I was using.

I am sure since I've told you 123 is regarded as a 'document' rather than an 'application' you'll be looking at a way to use it.

10/19/2005 1:06 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I sent off my 'new improved' detail document today (for 'new improved', read: 'filled with more shit than a used car salesman'), so we'll see how I go. At least it will give me another week or so of early finishes so I can get out for a kite :-)

10/19/2005 2:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home